Before!!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Taking a pound of flesh

I'm a huge Shakespeare fan. The Bard and I go way back. He, farther than me of course. Today I'm not talking about old Willie.

People ask what your 'aha' moment was. What was the straw that broke the camels back? I've been trying to think lately, ya shut it. I can't honestly remember any one 'aha' moment. I don't know what made me decide at 368 pounds that enough was enough. Why not 369...I mean that has rhyme, ya know? I really don't know.

I do know what told me this time that it's time to put an end to my uncontrolled eating. Let me set the proverbial stage for you.

Most of you know I live 8 months in FL in a small park model trailer. Small being the key word here. There are 3 of us. The actual park model is 384 square feet. That's where we spend most of our time. We have a porch attached that adds a whopping 320 square feet to the house. On that 'porch' is our only table. There's not room for a table in the main part of the unit. Our washer and dryer are also out there. A sofa, a small chest freezer, and 2 free standing, wooden pantry units complete the inventory. Well, of what you can see that is. There are a set of glass sliding doors separating the front of the porch from the back. That back part is our bedroom. If we're talking square feet, we're talking maybe 100. I'd say that room is 10X10. We have a HUGE king size bed. Not a lot of room for maneuvering you say? You are right. The set up is thus. The door opens into the bedroom from the main part of the house. It used to be an outside door of course, so you open it and go down 2 large cement steps. Gotta love those steps in the morning when things are stiff! MY things. Knees, ankles, shoulders...get your mind out of the gutter for goodness sakes! Anyway, directly to your left is Den's night stand, the bed, my night stand. Directly in front of you, at the end of the bed is a dresser. To the right, are free standing clothes rods for our hanging clothes. Posh eh?

So....the bed against one wall takes up about 7 of the 10 feet....the dresser that is at the foot of the bed takes up over 2 more of the 10 feet. That leaves less than a foot to get through to my side of the bed. The dresser has sharp corners I found out the other night. I have to shinny past that every time I go to my side of the bed. The other night I turned sideways (as I do) to ninja past the dresser. My ass didn't make it. This is one of the places where my eating binge apparently has been manifesting itself. I threw myself sideways, but apparently all the fat in my ass didn't quite make the turn as it caught on the edge of the dresser and carved a good 6 inch gash into my flesh. Oh yes, it's still there. I'm sure this isn't what Shylock had in mind!

The aha wasn't that my clothes don't fit anymore and I had to go buy new ones. The aha wasn't that my knees are killing me from the extra weight. The aha wasn't that my face has gotten so fat I can see my nose and cheeks while looking straight ahead. The aha was when I tried to fillet my hiney on the edge of a dresser that I've been going past for 3 years now.

Don't even get me started on what the extra weight is doing to my 'I've had 3 kids so my bladder doesn't always work like it should' problem. Oh that is lovely to have to pee in the night and try to jiggle past the dresser sideways then go up 2 steps and across the hall to get to the bathroom in time. Yes indeed.

So, Shylock, screw Antonio. If you want your pound of flesh...come take mine.

Hell, take 25 of them!

Bring on the veggies!

:-)

6 comments:

  1. I sat here while eating my apple and yogurt snack looking at your before photo's on the slideshow...
    Amazing how far you have come...even if you cant remember the moment, you made changes and for that you should be so proud...
    Okay so for 8 months you live there, where do you live the other 4 months???

    Veggies...I'm going to bake some for dinner tonight...yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Pixie Pal....Ya know I wanna reach though the computer to hug ya! :) xoxo Sorry about the hiney gash! :( I know it must feel like an 8 month vacation for you when you live there! You know what to do- and I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the missing flesh. Ouch.

    How about the polka dot dress. Does that still fit? I hope so you looked Maarvelous in it. That picture was a real incentive for me. Every time I'd log on I'd decide to get back on track. I need something now and its so far back in the annals of your blog I don't have the energy to go looking for it.

    I lost 40 lbs when I was living in Florida, now I've gained it back plus some. I just gave away all the clothes that fit me back then - I stopped saving them hoping I could wear them again. Anyway I'm hoping it may be like giving away maternity clothes - as soon as you give them away you'll need them again. (Not the maternity clothes but the skinny clothes)

    Hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bring on the veggies! And all the other good stuff that your body is craving! :) :)
    It won't be hard if you put all the good stuff into your body first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it Debby! And whatever this motivation is then that's what gets you moving back in the right direction. I bet you don't accumulate a lot of clutter living in such tight quarters!

    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete