Before!!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

We're entering into that season of joy. Halloween is past, Thanksgiving is next week(if you're American), Christmas a month later, and then the ever looming New Year.

New Year, you know that day. The day to make resolutions to change the rest of your life. Ya right and, oh crap where did I leave my ruby slippers and my wand?

Not so fast Toto. I've heard people for years say New Years resolutions just set you up to fail. Why? I mean really, aren't our diet plans just mini resolutions every day? What's wrong with setting some awesome goals for the new year? Not a damn thing as far as I'm concerned. One tiny flaw in the ointment is if you're waiting for the new year to start your new plan. Why wait? Make those resolutions now and get a head start! Better yet, did you make some last year? It's not too late to start working on them. So what if you don't do all you said you would? Doing some, trying, starting, is better than doing nothing at all!

I was reading Susan's blog this morning and I really got a lot out of it. Some things that maybe I didn't want to get out of it. Things like I probably am addicted to food and I've a compulsive nature. Everything I do, I do to excess....I'm sure that means something deep, dark, and sinister to all you therapists out there. Glad I don't listen to you! As I've mentioned before, I don't do the therapy scene. I'm a suck it up Buttercup, and pull up your big girl panties kind of girl. I'd much rather tell myself I'm greedy, selfish, and lazy, rather than addicted, compulsive, and apathetic. It's all in the words for me. I can sum myself up pretty well with the following sentence. Pixie is a hedonistic, tenacious, demonstrative, freakishly happy gal. I'd like to have ethical or moral in there too....I try, but don't always earn that adjective. I do try though.

The biggest thing I got out of Susan's blog was a plan. No, she didn't give me one, she said I needed one. She's right. I made a plan yesterday for the next week. I need one for the next month as well. I need a plan that is going to get me through New Years Day and beyond.

That's right boys and girls, I made a plan yesterday. TBM and I have promised to be 'good' until Thanksgiving day. We will allow ourselves to feast that day and the day after (gotta have a turkey sannie on homemade bread the next day!) and Saturday, right back on program. I know many of you are saying NOOOOOOO you can be good on Thanksgiving. Sure I can. I'm not going to. I would be like an IED (or an IUD if you're my friend Ian!) and dangerous to be around. I want some mashed potatoes and gravy and some pumpkin pie and some homemade rolls with butter. I want a turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce the next day too. I also want the courage to get right back on program Saturday! God grant me that please!

Last year I gained more than I lost. That's right, January 1, 2009 found me heavier than I was January 1, 2008(26.4 pounds heavier if you're wondering!!!). I do NOT want another year like that ever! I promised myself I would NEVER do that again. I forgot about my New Years resolution and was well on my way to a 2009 gain. I'm so grateful to Susan for reminding me that I need a plan, moreover that I HAD a plan. I'm proud to say it's not too late for me. January 1 of 2009 found me at 214.2. Yesterday I weighed in at 209.6, so if I listen to myself and 'suck it up Buttercup', I can end 2009 less than I began it. That's my goal. I'm not in a foot race here...I just want to reach the finish line.

I think I see that yellow tape now.....

:-)

5 comments:

  1. I cant plan so far ahead as I've never ever stuck to any plans I've made...I make them daily, or when I go to bed I run through the next days plans...if I have a function the weekend I'll plan all week for that like making sure I earn training points and keeping to my points allowed daily....that's about the furthest I can plan.
    I'm going to take my holiday season daily...dedicate myself to it every morning, that works best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's enjoy food and the holidays AND finish this year strong! I'm with you Debby!! I want to finish this year with some good results AND live my life and do what I like too :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good start Deb...and you have some time before the turkey is served to bank a few pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have the right idea Debby. It is not a foot race. I think your attitude is more healthy than those who say you can't stray from the "plan" or you most definitely will fail. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I say if you weigh less this Jan.1....you didn't fail. Sure the struggles in between could've been avoided, but that's life, isn't it? Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need a plan.

    i really want to see you succeed in being lower in weight in january. i will be rooting for you girly!

    no one can ever be truely good on the holidays. whats the point? holidays are meant to be a bit crazy.

    ReplyDelete