Before!!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Taste buds tingling!

Well boys and girls, today's lunch wasn't your normal tuna fish on whole wheat for sure! It hit a 10 on my pleasure & satisfaction meter!

We're going to a pool party this afternoon. They're so much fun! We eat and drink and dance and splash and play games and just have so much fun with our friends. The party starts at 4, but we're going at 2 so we can get extra hours in with our good friends Mary & Clair! The menu is actually diet friendly this time. Shrimp on the barbie, roasted potatoes, cucumber and tomato salad, and lemon layer cake. Yum! I've saved points for the cake and I'll probably skip the cuke salad as I'm sure it's fat laden. I'll look at it though. We of course needed snacks for before the meal. I made the fake guacamole from Hungry Girl. If it's good, I'll share the recipe tomorrow. I did sneak a taste after making it and I do think it'll be passable!

Anyway, back to my lunch today. I wanted something substantial to hold me through until snacks. I've fallen in love with the Jennie-O lean turkey hot Italian sausage link. Holy crap they're good! Yes, they're loaded with sodium. Yes, when I get back to MI I'll experiment with making my own with turkey breast that I grind fresh. For right now though, these are damn tasty!!! I took one out of the casing the other day (1 link has 4 points) and flattened it out and fried it up in a pan. I put a slice of WW cheese on it and then heated up a Sandwich Thin and made a sammie out of it. I sliced up 1/4 of an avocado and put that on and wow did it taste like a full fat, creamy, wonderful thing! Shoot...I digressed yet again!

Without further ado, I present you my rotini and meatball lunch! It was 9 points. I'll come right out with that. It is, however, being presented on a full size dinner plate so you can see how substantial it is. There were 8 meatballs. OMG it was soooooo good! The pasta was cooked just how I like it, more soft than al dente. It's my homemade pasta sauce that I had in the freezer. I love having things at hand like that. You could easily cut the portion in half and have a big salad with it. I did only eat half of it as I wanted to save the other half for after the pool party tonight as I know I'll be hungry.

Recipe:
1 Jennie-O lean turkey hot Italian sausage link with casing removed (4 points)
10g dry, uncooked oatmeal (more protein than breadcrumbs and nummy!) (.5 points)
1T egg substitute
finely minced onions
Mix up and make 8 balls, 4 if you like big balls. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and brown the balls on all sides slowly.

Cook 2oz dry Ronzoni Smart Pasta (3 points)

Pasta sauce. I keep homemade in the freezer that is 1 point for a nice sized serving. Heat the pasta sauce in a small sauce pan. Add cooked pasta to the sauce after draining. Add browned balls to the pot and heat through. Sprinkle 1 T Parmesan (.5 points) on top if you prefer. I preferred!

Ta da! here it is.



2 comments: