Before!!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Third time is a charm

Today is the first day of my 3rd challenge to myself. I'll get it right or die trying! I'm changing it from a 30 day challenge, to a 28 day one. Fits in better with WI's and knowing how things are working I think.

What little goodies have I come up with for my next challenge? Well settle down with your Oreo's and milk and I'll tell you. Wait, rewind. Settle down with your carrot sticks, sugar free Jell-O, and flavored water. I still go with the old adage of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'. So, what has worked really well in the last 2 challenges, I shall keep. What new thing shall I add for this month? Hmmmmmmmm let me think.

Last week was my first week of using my Flex points the way they were meant to be used. I spread them out over the week instead of using them all in one day with a no rules day. I stayed the same this week at my WI. That was very disappointing as I'm working so hard, but it's going to take more research to find out what the block is. I don't think it's the diet, I think it's the exercise. So, I'm going to make one of my challenges to stay totally OP for 28 days. That means no 'no rules' days in that month. This will definitely be a first!

Not eating in my recliner has been a challenge, but I think it's a beneficial thing for me. So, I'll keep it for the next month.

Exercise. This is where I'm a bit wishy washy. I doubled my exercise for the last 30 days. I did a minimum of 60 minutes a day for 6 days a week. I don't know how much exercise I should be doing. Is that too much? Is it not enough? Is it sustainable? I don't think it will be when I get home.

I stopped at the fitness center at the hospital yesterday on my way home from my meeting. I want to start incorporating strength training in my exercise routine. No, I don't want to bulk up, but I do want my body to work efficiently. I've done a lot of reading about building strength, and yes, muscle, and it's all good. We've got machines here at the park in the gym, but I don't know the proper form or even how long to use the machines. I've asked several of the people that do use them, and get all different answers. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. So, I've made the huge decision to join the fitness center for 2 months. It's a lot of money that I don't really have, I can't argue that. Yes, I could flounder around and figure it out on my own. Ultimately, what I want is to be an efficient, fat burning, heart healthy, machine. I don't mind working hard. I mind working hard and having it not be what is right for my body. Just in the few minutes talking to the trainer yesterday, I got the impression that I'm doing too much. That might not be worded correctly, but I think I could be exercising too hard for too long a time in the wrong percentage of heart rate. Obviously I'm doing something wrong as you can't monitor your diet as much as I am, AND work as hard at the gym as I am and still either gain weight or stay the same. NO, that sucks and is NOT acceptable. So, I'm going to learn the right way to do it. I'll know if it's the right way at the end of the next 28 days if the scale budges. So, to make a long story longer, my exercise part of the challenge for right now is to do a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic activity 3 days a week and to do strength training 3 days a week. I'm joining the gym tomorrow, and have my first session on Friday. If she says I should be doing more or less, I'll alter my challenge then.

1. Stay OP for 28 days straight.

2. Do Not eat in my recliner.

3. Exercise aerobically a minimum of 30 minutes 3 times a week. Strength train 2-3 times a week.

I think this is enough for the next 28 days for now.

If it doesn't kill me it'll make me stronger right?

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still eating at the table? I really need to start that as a challenge for myself. Thanks for being inspiring!

    ReplyDelete